This week we’re having a chat with Benedetto Demaio @benedettodemaio, a popular Instagram user that is known for his love about turquoise, which is evident in all his photos. His feed is more like a canvas, full of amazing photos that create a piece of art. We were really curious to learn more about him and how he decided to join Instagram, and we hope you enjoy our chat as much as we did!
– What does photography mean to you?
I don’t consider myself a photographer, I am rather an image craftman. I work with my own hands, authors and main characters of my works. Before taking a photograph, I imagine it, actually I dream about it. Every work is conceived from an idea which shapes itself on a step by step process, up to the point where the image materializes. I use photography to talk about myself; it speaks about me and for me.
– When was the first picture you’ve ever taken?
When I was child I had a Polaroid, I loved it. I enjoyed taking pictures and view them immediately printed. Among my favorite subjects there was the sea; maybe it’s the first thing that I captured.
– When did you join Instagram?
I joined Instagram in February 2013, now I can’t help it!
– What’s the secret for a successful Instagram presence for a photographer?
I don’t know the secret of a successful presence Instagram, but I know it’s important to have a story to tell; you must do it in an original and credible way. You have to put passion and above all fun.
– How do you find inspiration?
I look for inspiration everywhere. Anything can be a source of inspiration when viewed with the right point of view. I love the clean compositions, minimal, essential. I prefer the cool colors, however, pure tones. I don’t have a preference for subjects but strikes me the basic concept, the idea behind the shot, the creative structure. I try to highlight objects that tell of feelings through the beauty, images that express emotions heterogeneous and enclose original concepts. I looking for something surprising and curious that makes pictures unique.
– How did you come up with the focus on turquoise as a color choice?
I choose a color to tell my world: turquoise. I live in Milan, but I was born in a village in southern Italy overlooking the Tyrrhenian Sea. The colors of the place where I grew up, the gradients of the rough sea, the shades of the sea bottom, the turquoise that characterizes my works is an evocation of my origins, the feeling of belonging to a wonderful land, a place that formed me, my home. Inserting a touch of that tone in my work reassures me.
– Which photography tip would you reveal to a new photographer?
I would like to give some advice more than a tip: don’t abuse with post-production, dose digital changes and maintain a realistic effect.
– Is there an Instagram photography tip that you would like to share with us?
Be original and creative, do not be afraid to experiment with new visual languages.
– Which hashtag do you use more?
– How did you create your own community on Instagram?
I achieved much popularity when my picture was chosen for the weekend hashtag project of Instagram WHPmindtheclouds. A few months later I became Suggested User and June of 2014 I had a feature on the Instagram blog, an interview that I remember with great pleasure.
– Which one of your photos would you consider your most interesting for you personally?
I like the photo that Instagram has used in the interview, I identify a lot with it. (It’s the one used as a featured photo on top)
– What’s your biggest dream relevant to photography?
I’d like to see my pictures printed in huge posters around the world.
– What do you think about printing Instagram photos via Printl?
It’s a good idea! I like to have memories in my own hands or on the wall in my home. I think it’s a really smart and nice way to save images.
– You will enjoy your prints soon Benedetto! It was really great talking with you!
…Keep inspiring us. Keep PRINTLing!
- Printl on Facebook
- Printl on Instagram
- Printl on Twitter
- Printl on Pinterest
- PRINTL your Instagram photos now